"Of course I "knew" this, we all did. But it is a reality check for sure to google your name and find your RUN profile in full right there! It isn't a surprise, because we "know" the internet is not private, but it's…"
"Thank you! Yes, I read the article about 98% of schools in Ireland being either Catholic or Church of Ireland, and that the remaining 2% were multi-denominational, but that none were completely secular. I'll pass along your info, thanks very…"
"I have friends who are unschoolers of various types in the west of Ireland, but don't know any in Dublin myself (unless my friend Lee has moved back there, as she was planning to). I suggest that your friend get in touch with HEN (home…"
I have a Canadian friend who lives in Dublin with her two young children. In looking at the primary school system there she has learned that nearly all schools are Roman Catholic or Church of Ireland schools, and only 2% are inter-denominational. NONE are non-denominational.I'd love to connect her with some unschooling families in Dublin.So, I am not new to RU, but my friend would certainly be :) Anyone have some connections? See More
Hi Shonna, I just joinged RU, just moved to Verona Italy 3 months ago. I noticed you lived here so thought I'd try to dialogue with you. Our girls 3 and 5 have started preschool. Are having a fairly good experience so far, we felt it would be good for language acquisiton as they only speak English. But i have some misgivings about continuing indefinitely because I feel restricted by the time and "system." I would love to know more about your experience and any thoughts you might have that would be helpful. Warmly, Zona Righetti
Sounds fun at Big White...I have never been there but we were at SunPeaks last week and had a fantastic day!
If my husband could come for sure, if my youngest was slightly older and if it was closer, I would be going to the conference in a flash. It sounds excellent, and just the support that I need. It is a definite possibility.....
I am all for meeting up with other unschoolers! If your family is ever in the Kamloops area, let us know.
Wow, so on the fourth child you had twins! I dreamed about that! Not to minimize how busy you must have been, and still are:)
its not easy to unschool here.
I focus alot on the parenting aspect...there is a new law this year for annual testing with written and oral evaluation.
that sucks, its nothing like the tests they use in the states. Its oldfashioned interrogations.
If I could get at least one more child on board for homeschooling (Im only unschoolingmy 8 yo, and the two youngers who legally dont have to be in school yet ) then I might consider doing Clonlara or some other english online "school" that is unschool friendly.
For now, I am rather "safe" school wise because Shanti (who would be in the 3rd grade) is self taught to read at 3 years (whne her bro Raff learned in school--they had a blast learning together)...
so I just dont worry about her...but I cant imagine being calm with testing and a child that hasnt learned to read yet--we'll see how it goes with the next cubby.
but then we will have 2 "homeschooling" so we could opt for the expenditure of clonlara...
sorry for the length!
and yes it is definitley LONELY over here.
I hang out on line with some parents that are dedicated to respectful parenting...but thats it.
mamma of 7
(sorry this is so long!)